Chihuahua – To Have or Not To Have?
I’m going there. I’m going to talk about the Chihuahua today. Is the Chihuahua the right dog for you? For your family? I have had a lot of misconceptions about this wee dog. Let’s work through some of them today, shall we? For starters, here’s what the AKC breed page has to say:
Graceful, alert and swift-moving with a saucy expression, Chihuahuas are highly intelligent and should not be underestimated even though small in size.
And THEN it tells me that its history is “shrouded in mystery”. Ooooo. The Chihuahua is a tiny framed dog with large eyes and ears. These tiny dogs don’t require much exercise, making them great indoor and city dogs, and they’re easily transported – see Reese Witherspoon and her purse Chihuahua in Legally Blonde. The little dog really is a cutie pie.
Characteristics of the Chihuahua
Things to know if you’re considering a Chihuahua for your home:
- Chihuahuas are great for apartment dwelling
- Don’t let the size fool ya – the Chihuahua is a fierce little dog, loyal and protective. It will yap its little head off as a watch dog
- This was a surprise to me – according to one Chihuahua adoption page, the dog can be trained to use a litter box, but don’t use cat litter – use shredded newspaper
- Virtually no grooming involved
- They live practically FOREVER – I’ve heard and read that the smaller a dog is, the longer, typically, its life span – you might get 20 years from a Chihuahua
- Chihuahua are damaged easily, not only by small children and clumsy teens, but by falling from the couch or coffee table
- Chihuahuas can’t handle the cold, which is not really a con, since tiny dog sweaters can be ADORABLE
- YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP
- Chihuahuas make better pets for single people than for families, unless, like my friend Diane, you’re going to have multiple dogs
- One of the healthiest breeds
It seems that Chihuahuas, like potato chips, are difficult to have as just one. Go ahead and click on Diane’s link up there. Her little Brute Squad is adorable. I’m pretty sure I couldn’t have just one tiny dog. Head here, to the Animal Planet Chihuahua video, to learn more about this cute lap dog. Did you know, for instance, that the puppies have floppy ears? True.
Here. Here’s a video to convince you that the Chihuahua might just be the dog for you. It almost convinced me.
How adorable is that?!? OMG – Demon, the biker Chihuahua!
Would I have a Chihuahua? Probably not. But I’ve seen, firsthand, the happiness this little dog brings to the right family. They’re good pets, easy to pamper, transport, love. Should you get a Chihuahua? That’s for you to decide. If you do? The wee pup in the photo at the top LOVED the Lamb Lung Puffs from Jones Natural Chews. Just sayin’. I’m sure they’d also love Windee Rings and Woofermen. If you act now, you can still get in on the giveaway action by clicking this sentence, reading the post which will open, then following the simple directions. It’ll make your dog smile.
Treat your dog to happiness.
Spreading the good chews …