It’s Tasty Tuesday, and today we tackle 3 truths about all natural that every dog owner should know. It’s a pretty broad label, and there are always questions about it. Here’s how the USDA classifies Natural:
Natural. As required by USDA, meat, poultry, and egg products labeled as “natural” must be minimally processed and contain no artificial ingredients. However, the natural label does not include any standards regarding farm practices and only applies to processing of meat and egg products. There are no standards or regulations for the labeling of natural food products if they do not contain meat or eggs.
But what do people believe about “All Natural“? And what is reality? Number one:
1. “All natural means that there’s no antibiotics or growth hormones in the meat, right?”
- No. If that’s what you’re looking for in a meat product, be sure the label specifically says “No antibiotics or growth hormones”. All natural means that no artificial ingredients are added in the processing of the product.
2. “Well, all natural must mean that it’s healthier, right?”
- While we believe that being all natural means that Jones Natural Chews are healthier treats for your dogs, that’s not always what it means for other treats. As a consumer, you still need to read the label on whatever you buy. Sugar is a natural ingredient. Wheat flour is a natural ingredient. But would you want those in your dog’s treats or food? Maybe, maybe not. All natural doesn’t always mean all healthy.
3. “Well, aren’t there strict regulations on foods labeled ‘Natural'”?
- Sadly, no. As you can see in the USDA’s definition above, all natural means minimal processing and no artificial ingredients, but that only applies to food containing meat and eggs. That’s it. It’s better than foods containing artificial ingredients, but little else.
So what sets Jones Natural Chews apart when it comes to all natural? I believe it’s these three things:
- Not only are our treats all natural, but there are very few ingredients – most treats are only one or two ingredients, with the most ingredients being ten
- Jones Natural Chews are also 100% grown and processed in the USA, meaning we know exactly where our product comes from and how it’s baked and packaged
- The Jones family stems from a long line of butchers and know meat inside and out – that depth of knowledge and experience shows up in every Jones treat
I hope this helps. We believe our product is better for your dog because it’s all natural, but want you to be fully aware of what that means. An informed consumer is a better consumer, a healthier consumer.
Now go give your dog a Jones Natural Chew. It’ll make your dog smile. Naturally.
Until I write again …